Thoughts about iMac2

JTS - MCDLXXXVI jts7@duke.edu
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:32:02 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Eirikur Hallgrimsson wrote:
> Industrial design from the Apple Design group was pretty impressive.  I have
> the coffee table book that shows most of their output.   I still want a
> computer like the "Luxo" mockup, which was a desktop that put a laptop screen
> on the end of a counterweighted pantograph "Luxo" lamp arm, with the system
> housed in the lamp base.  Wireless keyboard.   Low desktop footprint.

You got it.

Love the new iMac.  I'll be buying the titanium G4 instead, for the
portability, but making the iMac even *easier* to fit anywhere should just
increase adoption.  To me it seems the "internet appliance" *is* the
sufficiently advanced and well designed PC.  Hardware and software -
iTunes is great.

2 years ago, bought my mother a gumdrop iMac.  Loving it.  Printers are
dirt cheap (praise be) and internet connections are too.  Instant on?  She
never turns hers off - just puts it in sleep mode.  (Side note: the little
"snoring" power button in sleep mode is adorable, still.)  Waking it up
takes about 10 seconds, which is pretty durn close to instant on.  She's
had to reboot maybe 4 times in the last year, and 2 of them were because
I'd been mucking things up in her system.  It's not a serious development
tool for her, it's an appliance which requires its own table.
	Which is a shame.
Now it doesn't, and I could slap the new iMac on a kitchen counter
(printer in the pantry) or wherever.  I am curious to see who is first out
with an aftermarket mounting bracket which lets you easily fasten the new
iMac base to a wall.  MSRP $40.  Next evolution is to please make that
nice flatpanel into a touchscreen and give the neck all range of motion.
Then all I have to worry about is the keyboard, and hopefully that'll be
IR so I don't have to sweat cords and can just keep it thrown in a
cupboard or some such most of the time.

I'd like someone to "do something" about keyboards, but I also acknowledge
that familiarity will prevent the form factors from changing... and that
changing people's hard-earned habits isn't the point.  It is making the
hardware fit lives, not the other way around, that is cool.

So I'll be upgrading Mom to OSX (cause it's so damn easy) and probably
buying her a new iMac when she moves into a smaller place, or the old one
decays (expect 10 years - our SE lasted that long).  Blast away.  My
brother hates and fears Macs, but I like what they're doing.

	JTS