[USA Today] Tablet PCs, by Kevin Maney

Grlygrl201@aol.com Grlygrl201@aol.com
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:28:55 EST

--part1_165.653e5d1.2969f167_boundary

In a message dated 1/6/02 6:55:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, gojomo@usa.net
writes:

> > >  But the existence of such behavior drives technologists nuts.
> > >"There's no room in the technologist's mind for information floating
> > >in between the nooks and crannies of daily life," says Rohit Khare,
> > >founder of networking company KnowNow. "We hate Post-it Notes, candy
> > >wrappers and the backs of receipts."
>
> You've never seen my desk.
>
> Also: 3x5 notecards, backs of business cards, junk mail envelopes (open
> or not).
>
> I really wish I could find XP drivers for my Visioneer PaperPort MX.
> But still, it's not so good for little scraps.
>
> I don't want a tablet PC so much as a voracious scanner that can suck
> in whatever odd-sized, torn or crinkled, thick or thin paper I throw
> at it, capture both sides reliably in high-resolution color, then drop
> the original in a dustbin.
>
> The scans would be OCRed and cross-referenced by date, size, color,
> and full-text.
>
> - Gordon

(sorry - aol.com is down.  bear with the extra characters, please.)

i am forced at jobpoint to take minutes for board and committee meetings.  i
don't know shorthand, don't type terribly fast, and my mind wanders about as
much as any other attendee. i need a handy dandy minutes taker - something
smart enough to understand with a signal what our brilliant board president
can transmit with a look to me:  DON'T WRITE THAT DOWN, and something that
gives new meaning to "motion detector" upon the phrase "do we have a motion?"

wants obsolescence,
gg

--part1_165.653e5d1.2969f167_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 1/6/02 6:55:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, gojomo@usa.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp; But the existence of such behavior drives technologists nuts. <BR>
&gt; &gt;"There's no room in the technologist's mind for information floating <BR>
&gt; &gt;in between the nooks and crannies of daily life," says Rohit Khare, <BR>
&gt; &gt;founder of networking company KnowNow. "We hate Post-it Notes, candy <BR>
&gt; &gt;wrappers and the backs of receipts."<BR>
<BR>
You've never seen my desk.<BR>
<BR>
Also: 3x5 notecards, backs of business cards, junk mail envelopes (open<BR>
or not).<BR>
<BR>
I really wish I could find XP drivers for my Visioneer PaperPort MX. <BR>
But still, it's not so good for little scraps. <BR>
<BR>
I don't want a tablet PC so much as a voracious scanner that can suck <BR>
in whatever odd-sized, torn or crinkled, thick or thin paper I throw <BR>
at it, capture both sides reliably in high-resolution color, then drop <BR>
the original in a dustbin.<BR>
<BR>
The scans would be OCRed and cross-referenced by date, size, color,<BR>
and full-text. <BR>
<BR>
- Gordon</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
(sorry - aol.com is down.&nbsp; bear with the extra characters, please.)<BR>
<BR>
i am forced at jobpoint to take minutes for board and committee meetings.&nbsp; i don't know shorthand, don't type terribly fast, and my mind wanders about as much as any other attendee. i need a handy dandy minutes taker - something smart enough to understand with a signal what our brilliant board president can transmit with a look to me:&nbsp; DON'T WRITE THAT DOWN, and something that gives new meaning to "motion detector" upon the phrase "do we have a motion?" <BR>
<BR>
wants obsolescence,<BR>
gg<BR>
<BR>