New release of BitTorrent out (fwd)

Sun, 6 Jan 2002 18:02:59 +0100 (MET)

ICBMTO: N48 04'14.8'' E11 36'41.2'' http://www.leitl.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 17:37:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Bram Cohen <bram@gawth.com>
To: BitTorrent@yahoogroups.com, p2p-hackers@zgp.org,
     Crypto List <cryptography@wasabisystems.com>
Subject: New release of BitTorrent out

A new release of BitTorrent is out, along with a new page -

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

New in this release -

New file in demo, in case you already got the old one :-)

A complete rewrite of all the upload/download logic

Tit-for-tat upload preferences

TCP buffering awareness

Better install process under UNIX

And tons of other small improvements.

We did a test run of the new release yesterday, and it handled six
simultaneous downloaders without breaking a sweat, my guess is the current
version handles twenty no problem.

This release marks the confluence of two events -

a) BitTorrent getting mature enough to be used commercially

b) Bram has spent enough time unemployed and needs to find a job

If you're one of the many companies who could benefit from reduced
bandwidth costs, now would be a good time to hire me to ensure BitTorrent
reaches full maturity.

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
                                        -- John Maynard Keynes