PayPal, credit cards and mileage plans

Mr. FoRK fork_list@hotmail.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:39:07 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert S. Thau" <rst@ai.mit.edu>

> Hmmm... what arrangements do they have in place to keep you from
> paying yourself via PayPal or cash advance, using the money to pay the
> credit card bill, and collecting the miles?

Cash advance on the card won't go to air miles. Other than that, they may
disallow 'charges' to the same parent account (I have both checking and
credit card at the same bank) but they won't know via PayPal who the final
destination is - its an anonymizing intermediary.

But PayPal has a per-transaction cost (around 1.5%) so I'm essentially
'paying' for air miles, and if I can bypass the 1.5%, I'll just set up a
weekly schedule to pay myself and go to Fiji in the fall...