The Web Runs on Love, Not Greed

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:15:05 -0400

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 06:14:45PM -0500, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> Hey carey,
>
> The reason it sounds like an urban legend is that it defies common sense at the
> same time as it serves the social conservative agenda.  Dictionaries for kids
> are really thin in the first place, too thin for exhaustive listings of swear
> words, and they're edited for their audience.  4th-6th graders are really young.
>
> don't mean to bite your head off, though.  hearing your potted aunt reel off the
> seven dirty words you can't even say on cable in front of the family must have
> been pretty funny.
>
> - Lucas

With the advent of the Sopranos I think (know) they have all been heard on cable now.
What I find interesting is that is a least one word - nigger - that you can't
say now  (on network TV) - that was quite common in seventies and eighties TV -
just heard it this week on Magnum, PI. I'm sure there are others - Archie Bunker
 should have had a bit - the seven words youu won't be able to say on television
in 2002 - nigger, kike, abortion, union ...

Owen