CS.dept == EMPTY;

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:48:54 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> Please back up this assertion with solid facts. You are incorrect.

OK, so I mostly speak from dealing with a perspective of MIT and Stanford
people, and the increase in faculty demand.

> This can be caused by (a) the need to replace existing faculty who have
> left, or (b) an general expansion of CS education.
>
> My experience is the number of ads is overwhelmingly caused by (b), though
> causes certainly do vary across universities.

Hrm, I dont know about B, my guess based on the collapse in the market in CS
people that we wont be seeing a ton of people entering CS programs this
year, certainly a good drop at the least. Much like a few years ago anyone
entering a MBA program was considered insane - right after most every
company fired all their middle-management and flattened out. Most of those
still there seem to be diverting (a _very_ short trip, ok so i was a huge
chemistry nerd long ago) into the biochemistry or bioinformatics areas,
which is preaty much a guarenteed win for the next 10 years.

> I think you're making far too great an extrapolation from your experience
> with Stanford. I suppose it's probably hard for you to accept this fact, but
> most academics *like* academia, and prefer it to other forms of employment.

Of course we like academia, what's not to like! Soooo many more resources to
draw on. <homer>Mmmm, undergrad zombie slaves</homer>. Of course it was
significantly better back when you could actually own what you did -
certainly a huge factor (if not the only) in my not still being there.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com