Sad rant about convergence / consolidation (was re: wearables)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 19:08:11 +0000

Jeff Bone:
>We gadget freaks are just putty in their hands, hardly better than crack
>whores at a crackhouse;  we *must* have the newest toy, first generation,
>and we'll pay
>3x the appropriate mainstream pricepoint;  we'll add the boxes to our stack
>and live with growing complexity; and we'll let them work out all the bugs
>and issues on our dime. .. Then there's the portables segment.  Think about
>the converged phone / PDA devices.  Why have they all sucked? .. Those that
>have been brought to market are half-hearted attempts to throw the
>ultrageek / early adopter crowd an (expensive) bone to feed our gadget
>jones.

Feeding addictions is a proven business model. MO is
one of the large cap stocks that did well this year.

>For my own contribution, even though I'm a gadget freak to the core, I've
>tried to curtail my early adopter behavior.  Now, I only buy new things
>when there's a qualitative critical mass of new functionality embodied in a
>device.  I've stopped upgrading devices for purely quantitative benefits;
>now, I only replace something when the old unit is physically broken or
>completely obsoleted.  I've stopped buying gen one of anything.

Ah, Grasshopper! You have taken the first step. In
ten years, you too can be an old fart stuck with
obsolete technology. "Yeah, I want to sell this
Vaio, but the damn thing just won't die, completely."

Hee, hee.