Corporate transparency

Dave Long dl@silcom.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 10:50:25 -0800

>                                          Finding a new space to play in then
> successfully defending it against a larger player is a sheer game of strategy.
> The moves of that game are written down, and that --- the strategy, etc. --- if
> revealed to the larger player in advance of execution allows that player to
> execute the same strategy with more resources.

A large enough player may already
have modelled potential strategies
of the smaller players, even in an
opaque world.  YANAB&US.

> I can't think of any reason why the following would not be true:  eliminating
> all forms of corporate secrecy simply does nothing but strengthen the market
> position of any larger existing player or potential player in the space, while
> simultaneously discouraging innovation and the creation of new markets and
> competitors.

Here is a scenario under which the
preceding would not be true:

Pretend for a moment that creation
of new markets by innovation is a
risky endeavor, with many ways to
go broke, and only a few outcomes
with huge returns.

And for exploitation of the status
quo?  While we are fantasizing, we
may as well imagine that such an
activity might, at least for large
players, be predictable enough to
provide a dividend stream.

Now, what are the reactions of an
established player and an outsider,
both provided with identical copies
of an innovative strategy?

The outsider might as well pursue
it; what have they got to lose?

The established player probably
shouldn't pursue it with large
(let alone larger) amounts of
resources; the opportunity cost
of not putting those resources
in their core business is great.

Perfect corporate transparency
may even encourage innovation:
Why might investors prefer to
have large established players
stick with innovation buying,
instead of in-house creating?

-Dave

for Peripatetic parallels:
"Re: [VOID] Thirty-one, rest, and motion."
<http://www.xent.com/dec00/0384.html>

>      Walking is the time to think. Some philosopher once
> said something to the effect that no good thoughts were
> born except on foot.

Likely either a peripatetic, or Alex Cox:

OTTO:   You don't even know _how_ to drive.

MILLER: I don't _wanna_ know how.  I don't wanna learn.  See?  The more
you drive, the less intelligent you are.

see also: <http://www.pscweb.com/repo/repo.html>