The Web Runs on Love, Not Greed

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 18:43:30 +0000

Paul Prescod:
>>If I wanted to learn about, let's say, Uzbekistan

JS Kelly:
>ummm, an encyclopedia? the library? a good geography or history volume?

The CIA World Factbook [1] has long been one of my
favorite geographic references. And for the past few
years, it has been on the web.

Seriously, the Web makes it so easy to find information
on so many subjects that the traditional encyclopedia
is obsolete. I suspect the Wikipedia [2] is now as good
as the smaller traditional encyclopedias, and it has
the advantage that it is always current. For deeper
information, I can get more from a quick Google search
than from the Britannica. Yeah, the Web may be a
wasteland. But it's not hard to find the oases.

[1] http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

[2] http://www.wikipedia.com