The Web Runs on Love, Not Greed

JS Kelly jskelly@jskelly.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:37:10 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Adam L. Beberg wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, JS Kelly wrote:
>
> > millions (sorry -- 'hundreds of millions') of people are not going to be
> > willing to do the 'heavy work' of creating content and giving it away. i
> > could go on...
>
> Even if they do create it, if it's any good they soon get nuked by the
> server hosting fees.

an excellent point! not only are these millions of people supposed to give
great content away -- they are also supposed to pay for the privilege.

> You can see the huge void between sites about peoples
> cats and sites like Yahoo, most anything in the middle is long gone.

that's true -- and many of the up-and-coming sites get shut down towards
the end of the month (or sooner, depending on how popular they are) when
they've used up their allocated quota of their provider's badwidth.

the internet is a really amazing resource -- i just hate to see it being
squandered. and then it really gets me when someone like this guy who was
quoted starts waxing on about how great it is. it *isn't*! there is so
much more left to do, so much room for improvement. there are *not* 3
billion pages chock full of information -- but there should be.

-jsk