The Web Runs on Love, Not Greed

JS Kelly jskelly@jskelly.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:21:58 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Paul Prescod wrote:

> JS Kelly wrote:
> >
> > i'd like some of what he's smoking -- the web is a content wasteland.
>
> Compared to....???

> If I wanted to learn about, let's say, Uzbekistan, I would turn first to
> the Web. From there I would get some references on printed books that I
> should also pick up. What better source of content do you start with?

ummm, an encyclopedia? the library? a good geography or history volume?

OK, first of all -- i didn't say the web was useless, or that there's *no*
content available. i guess 'wasteland' is too strong a word. sorry.

of course for something like uzbekistan i'd start with the web. and i get
a lot of my information online (who doesn't?). but compared with what it
could be, it's still a disappointment.

besides, uzbekistan is a bad example -- hundreds (at the least) of pages
on this will have sprung up since 9/11. i'm constantly running into 404s
and meager offerings when i do research on the web (on less 'hot' topics)
-- this is one of the things that drives me to conclude that the web is
particularly sucky. it isn't comprehensive, it isn't cohesive, it isn't
consistent... most of it doesn't take advantage of the really wonderful
things that the web/net is capable of...

-jsk