The Web Runs on Love, Not Greed

JS Kelly jskelly@jskelly.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:59:28 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Tom wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, JS Kelly wrote:
>
> --]i'd like some of what he's smoking -- the web is a content wasteland.
>
> Oh please with the  "everyone else is an ignorant boob but me" crap.

did i say that? no, i never said that.

> If you cant find treasure troves of content on the web your either still
> on AOL or your just plain missing a few chromosomes.

treasure troves of content exist. what the man said in the quote was that
3 billion pages chock full of content exist. they don't.

here's the quote again:

	Wired magazine co-founder Kevin Kelly says that rather than moping
	over last year's dot-com debacle we should rejoice over what we
	have -- a Web that features more than three billion public Web
	pages chock full of content which is freely offered as a gift to
	the world.  "As the Internet continues to expand in volume and
	diversity, only a relatively small percent of its total mass will
	be money-making.  The rest will be created and maintained out of
	passion, enthusiasm, a sense of civic obligation, or simply on the
	faith that it may later provide some economic use. High-profile
	portal sites like Yahoo and AOL will continue to consolidate and
	demand our attention (and maybe make some money)  while millions
	of smaller sites and hundreds of millions of users do the heavy
	work of creating content that is used and linked.  These will be
	given away as gifts to the world.

it's just wrong. besides that the web isn't cock-full of content, civic
obligation can't get people out to the polls on election day -- how's it
supposed to drive the creation of cohesive and high-quality content?
millions (sorry -- 'hundreds of millions') of people are not going to be
willing to do the 'heavy work' of creating content and giving it away. i
could go on...

-jsk