PayPal, credit cards and mileage plans

rudy rouhana webtagz@yahoo.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:44:11 -0800 (PST)

--- Elias Sinderson <elias@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> aren't really free. Credit card companies make a lot of money selling
> *your* profile to other companies. Arguably more money than what they

Oh, without question they do!  I'm certainly not denying that.  However, unless
you're living your life paying for everything in low denomination cash, have
all your utilities, etc. under an alias, don't have a cell phone etc. etc.
you're being profiled left and right.

I haven't given up on the concept of privacy, I just draw the line of need
differently I suppose.  I have a handful of docs that have important
information that are encrypted, not online, on a never has been online laptop
(gotta use lcd to prevent display emission snooping ;).  But, aside from that,
I'm a sellout to convenience.  Being able to call American Express 2 years
after something I bought breaks (I actually hope things break) and get it
replaced with an inevidably newer model is cool.  Plus, 2% off EVERYTHING I
purchase?  Hey, if someone can monetize that information, more power to them.
It will only be sold in aggregate anyway, and the end result is that more
people are going to put things that I'm likely to buy in front of me.  They
might price it higher or lower than they do for other people, but I'm cool with
their optimization.  Overall, I don't mind it.

However, to each his own.

Sellout to the man,

Rudy