PayPal, credit cards and mileage plans

Elias Sinderson elias@cse.ucsc.edu
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:25:17 -0800

rudy rouhana wrote:

>Exactly, I get 2% back every year and never have to buy an extended warranty.
>If a merchant screws with me, I just deny payment.  When I'm in a foreign
>country, I can get as low as 1% surcharge on the exchange conversion.  All this
>with no annual fee.  If I give in and get the "real" platinum card the benefits
>more than pay for themselves if I continue to travel with any frequency.  There
>is no reason NOT to pay with credit card if you pay it off every month.
>Unless, of course, you don't think you have any fiscal self control.
>
>-R

Granted, there are benefits (free miles, blah, blah, blah...), but those
aren't really free. Credit card companies make a lot of money selling
*your* profile to other companies. Arguably more money than what they
get in interest for late payments. So, the cost to you is an almost
complete lack of privacy regarding your buying habits. It's most
certainly a personal decision how much that is worth, but for me it will
always be worth more than the benefits of having a credit card.

    Elias "don't CC me, 'cause I read the list" Sinderson