PDA form factor (was: Thoughts about iWalk)

Fri, 4 Jan 2002 18:03:10 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> though: I've been watching the wearables world for to see when I can
> have my Palm HMD and it's far from happening.  Any idea why something

	http://www.microopticalcorp.com/Products/index.html

prices lousy, since demand is simply not there. I hope plastic or OLEDs
will land in a few years, making things simpler.

> like a text-mode display on clear glass spectacles/contact lenses and
> activated without a direct wire is so hard?  Compared to black magic

Look at the EG-7 on that page. I don't mind the bulk. I would tolerate a
lot of it to have a bright crisp megapixel virtual display in front of me.

> like nanotech, and given that I know nothing whatsoever about physical
> science, it seems trivial.  You figure out how to change the color or
> transparency of a thing with a given radio frequency. You make each
> pixels one of these things.  You broadcast a weak signal.  You get
> fabulously wealthy.

First, you go broken, because you're too early.

> To simplify the problem a little bit: all I want is text mode word
> processing. Monochrome is fine, 160x160 is fine.
>
> What's so hard about this?

The usual bootstrap problem. Apart from the software (location-aware
wearable development is going to be interesting), it's the displays that
are killing you.