PDA form factor (was: Thoughts about iWalk)

Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:18:23 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa: you've just killed the PDA by making it a PC.

No. I've killed the PDA, the PC, cellphone, GPS, physical maps,
dictaphone, the mp3 player, the compass, the watch, the video and the
digital cam, and the TV, and the video recorder.  Plus, have you ever seen
an augmented reality overlay over a night landscape, with guidance
horizont, graphical ETA, etc? Seeing and talking to people who're on the
other side of the world, as if they were in the same room with you? This
is not just a vademecum of functions, this is a new thing entirely.

> The point of visor w/ stowaway is that it adds word processing to the
> short list of things that it specializes in.

All purpose computers are called that for a reason. The specialization is
all in software.

Wondered what the next big thing after PDA and cellphone is going to be?
The wearable.

The only thing still amazing me is that it hasn't happened several years
ago. People are just slow, I guess.