Monsanto, PCBs and evil

Jon O . jono@microshaft.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 07:52:35 -0800

On 04-Jan-2002, Justin Mason wrote:

> Tom said:
> > Having been around farming folk for a couple of years now and getting Home
> > Farmer magazine (a legacy subscription of my father in laws that gets
> > forwarded here) I can safely say Monsanto is one of the most evil fucking
> > companys around.
> > You think MS is bad? Folks that go on and on about MS should refocus
> > themselves to a real freaking problem.
>
> Is there any kind of anti-Monsanto movement among farmers?  From what I've
> heard, it does sound like Monsanto are happy to screw their customers
> outright -- and look what happens to MS in the computer biz, constant bad
> feeling resulting in a wide movement against them.  (Mind you, the margins
> are a hell of a lot tighter for farmers.)
>
> Hmm -- wonder if organic veggies are the "open source" of farming? ;)

Oh, I believe there is an anti-Monsanto movement among farmers. You might
recall the incident where some "test" Monsanto GM crop seeds pollinated nearby
fields. The farmer's crop began growing a strain of the crossed GM plants.
Monsanto didn't like this and sued the farmer for patent infringement and won.

I'll try to look this up and send a link. It occurred about 6 months ago.