geocaching - technology makes a new hobby

Mr. FoRK fork_list@hotmail.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 23:25:47 -0800

Latest (for me anyway) pop culture bits.
Looks like an interesting way to get out of the house. A true geek would of
course cache something /inside/ their domicile.

===
http://www.geocaching.com

===
Frequently Asked Questions About Geocaching

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in
a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and
capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and
organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of
these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location
coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor
with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they
get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

So what's the big deal? You gave me the coordinates so I know where it is.
Seems pretty easy.

It is deceptively easy. It's one thing to see where an item is, it's a
totally different story to actually get there.

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very
simple:
1. Take something from the cache
2. Leave something in the cache
3. Write about it in the logbook