How Moore's law stabbed us in the back

rudy rouhana webtagz@yahoo.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:13:54 -0800 (PST)

--- Jeff Bone <jbone@jump.net> wrote:

> John Hall wrote:
>
> > People keep getting
> > more expensive.
>
> Is this really true, or is it merely that *time* keeps getting more
> expensive?
>
> Lately I've had this idea tickling at the back of my lobes that there's a
> fundamental connection between economics, information theory, and physics;
> that macroeconomic behavior can be viewed in light of where and how we're
> shoving entropy around, and that there are fundamental physical constraints
> on economics, particularly in an information economy.
>
> Just a thought.  Not quite ready to make the argument, yet.
>
> jb

I am ;)  Even if you buy the argument that people get more expensive, the
number of tasks that require human input is being reduced over time.  Even
though those devices require people to design them, once implemented a greater
number of human tasks should be eliminated.

You have to buy that argument Jeff ...

As for humans costing more in general ...  well, in the short term technology
allows us to farm out once expensive tasks (like programming) to cheaper labor
such as the infamous Code Shirpas ;)

Even if the Code Shirpas eventually get more demanding, you could extrapolate
that over time "Matrix" like technology where knowledge is basically downloaded
into humans (reducing it to bits, which people will just trade like Warez) will
make knowledge free as well.  Thus, we'll have human cost truly down to the
cost of reproducing another human.  The act of which will probably be assembly
lined anyway.

-R