Little, Big [ RE: How Moore's law stabbed us in the back ]

Joseph S. Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:45:49 -0800

> Lately I've had this idea tickling at the back of my lobes
> that there's a
> fundamental connection between economics, information theory,
> and physics;
> that macroeconomic behavior can be viewed in light of where
> and how we're
> shoving entropy around, and that there are fundamental
> physical constraints
> on economics, particularly in an information economy.

Well, duh.
We believe in the interconnectedness of all things, remember?

I'm near the end of reading John Crowley's _Little, Big_
and that's doing a real number on my perception of reality.
It's a great book. It's also reawakening my interested in Tarot.

Recommended reviews:

http://www.greenmanreview.com/little_big.html
http://www.tarotpassages.com/littlebi.htm

Amazon of course.
It's back in print.

I don't know how I'm going to keep up with this mailing list.
I don't know what's changed more, me or the list.

The Moore's Law discussion isn't really grabbing me because
I can't really think of anything new to add. I started with
a HP-29C with about 512 bytes of storage, and have just ordered
a notebook with 1 GB of SDRAM. Although more memory would
be useful for the 29C (which I still use), 1 MB would be
ridiculous, not to mention 1 GB. But I certainly will be using
all 1 GB in the notebook. There will always be apps to use the
more memory and processing power.

- Joe