PDA form factor (was: Thoughts about iWalk)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 22:11:31 +0000

The pocket-size form factor has not yet been pushed to its
limits. Looking at a Palm V, only about half the major
surface is dedicated to display. At least a third is casing,
with six buttons in it. A quarter of the remainder is
dedicated to the graffiti surface and four painted buttons.

Now, imagine an updated device, with the same form factor
when carried, that flips open into two halves, along the
long edge, like a small book. The major surface of the
upper half is fully dedicated to display. The major
surface of the bottom part contains the hard buttons,
the keying surface, and displays soft controls such as
menus and tool bars. Yes -- two screens! Why not? That
would support a real GUI.

And this time, I want the back to be sturdy, with slots
for three credit cards, so I don't need to buy a separate
case.