Thoughts about iWalk

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 15:57:29 -0600

Eirikur Hallgrimsson wrote:

> Have any FoRKers actually used the CrossPad?  It's a clipboard sized
> digitizer with no display.  You use a pen with real ink on a pad of paper,
> and you can later download the page images.   It was a really interesting,
> and seemingly promising idea.

I agree, but I never did manage to pick one up.  The most unfortunate thing about
the CrossPad was its industrial design;  it never looked like anything that anyone
other than a 50+ yr-old insurance salesman would carry. ;-)

> I suspect that
> the CrossPad is long gone now.

There may still be some floating around out in the channel, but Cross has pulled
the plug:

    http://www.cross.com/cross/crosspads.html

> It always seemed
> very sexy to me, but I admit that I never plug in any of my tablets anymore.

Remember PenPoint?  IMO, still a wonderful UI design / environment for a pad-size
machine.  I came across a set of developer manuals for it just before Xmas while
going though some stored boxes of books...

jb