RDF under patent attack

Jeff Barr jeff@vertexdev.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:02:57 -0800 (PST)

Jeff Bone says:

> Crossed from [syndication] --- not much detail here, anyone else?
>
>    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1016

Earlier this week several of us who are doing things related
to XML, RSS, and RDF received a package of patents from
Merchant & Gould. They are working on behalf of Pearl Ltd,
(http://www.vertexdev.com/patent_wiki/) a company that buys
patents and makes money by litigating.

In my case it seems that they saw a posting on [rss-dev]
about Syndic8 and sent the letter without even bothering
to learn anything about the site.

I'm quite concerned and am still learning and collecting
info. I have set up the Patent Wiki at
http://www.vertexdev.com/patent_wiki/ to share and collect
info. All are welcome, except the suit's plaintiffs and
those related to them.

I've labeled these guys "Patent Terrorists" on my site and
that strong wording has caused some controversy. But I
stand by that label and here's why. They hide in the dark
and use deceptive tactics to cover their true intent. They
jump out and disrupt development efforts without bothering
to do their homework. They instill fear of progress, and
seek to destroy and to limit, rather than to create and
build up. None of this is good for the world. They cause
distraction and worry.

I'm not going to let them win.

Jeff;