How Moore's law stabbed us in the back

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:13:39 -0500 (EST)

Jeff Bone writes:
> K, if you weren't so fucking oblivious, you would perhaps have noticed
> that my volume has receded significantly over the last few *and* (partly
> as a consequence) the sig level of any given jbone post has gone up at
> least somewhat.  (This amid questions and objections from some around here
> who actually *enjoy* the performance art.)  But given that you're such a
> bit player around here anyway these days, why don't you go fuc^H^H^H try
> to have a Happy New Year, hmmm?
>
> Lumping me in with Beberg!  GMAFB, Kragen.
>
> Put another way:  one man's noise is another man's signal.  If you don't
> like the bits, Kragen, feel free to make your own.  Great thing about
> bits:  you can make as many as you want, almost for free.

Yes, I have noticed that the noise level has receded and that your
posts are somewhat less noisy, but Adam's contention that there isn't
enough noise is simply bullshit.

I can make more signal, and I have, but I can't unmake noise someone
else has posted.  Making noise is a lot easier than making signal.

Some noise is not another man's signal.  Some noise is just noise.

FoRK is not about "performance art".  Any kind of crap can be
justified in the name of performance art.  FoRK is about bits and
flaming those who post without bits.  You're free to disagree, but
you'll just be wrong.

I "lumped you in with Beberg" because he lumped you in with himself,
and you agreed and encouraged him to troll more to make up for your
own improvement:

Jeff Bone wrote:
> "Adam L. Beberg" wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Jeff Bone wrote:
> >
> > > <typical pessimistic Beberg drivel>
> >
> > Someone has to wack at the beehive around here or noone posts.
> > You're just mad cause you consider that your turf ;)
>
> Hey, I ain't mad, and feel free to whack the beehive, I've been kinda
> busy of late. :-) ;-)

If you're going to sleep with the dogs, don't get upset if I put you
in the flea-dip too.

Lumping in Russ is less defensible, but the three of you have been
responsible for the majority of the half-baked bit-free posts over the
last year or two.

In case it's not clear, I do appreciate your occasional interesting
contributions, and Adam's and Russ's too.