Storing information vs. storing bits (was: Three Places Beberg Is Wrong)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:14:21 +0000

Jeff Bone:
>STORAGE. ..
>
>INTELLIGENCE. Information isn't power, intelligence is. .. And IMO "the
>Semantic Web" isn't the answer; it's a hammer, but not everything is nails.
>..

Probably. But to beat one of my favorite drums, there is
something fundamentally wrong when a database stores
height as 5.5, or a 5 and a 6, or 1691, or 1.69, with
implied units of feet, feet and inches, centimeters, or
meters, and it takes a programmer to then sort people by
height across different databases, files, etc. At one
level higher, few people should ever see the difference
between JPG and GIF, or between different audio formats,
and signatures of the same soundtrack, photo, or video
should remain invariant across different file
representations. If you want intelligence rather than
information, at some point, we have to get beyond the
bits.

Russell