How Moore's law stabbed us in the back

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eh@mad.scientist.com
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 22:03:05 -0500

I can see using as many computes as become available to me.   Bandwidth,
too.    Not averaged over time, but in response time.  In "not having to
wait."

If (and I don't agree with this) Free Software degrades the average
quality of software packages, that's another pull for more computes to
take up the performance slack of less than optimal code.

I think it's Moore's law all the way.   I hope it keeps going for my
lifetime.   I'm aware of physical limits in the present technologies, but
I expect them to be bypassed by adoption of new technologies.  I don't
care if it's implemented in DNA or quantum interference, it just has to
compute.

Eirikur's corollary to Moore's law:
Moore's law is not about technology.  Technology does not drive itself.
Moore's law is about human behavior.

Eirikur