How Moore's law stabbed us in the back

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 18:07:01 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Meltsner, Kenneth wrote:

> It might be the wrong equation, of course.
>
> One relevant one is:
>
> Revenue = Units Sold * Price per Unit
>
> Another is:
>

> Units Sold = K (Price per Unit) ^ (- N)

Yes, those also work, but where I chose to neglect profit/loss by looking
at an entire product, you are neglect that there is competition by looking
at just one company.

Units sold = ( K (Price per Unit) ^ (- N) ) * (selling_for_lowest_price)

Where selling_for_lowest_price is between 0 and 1 with a commodity having
near-binary behavior, but luxury items being much more unpredictable and
largely the result of a good or bad salesperson and/or the stupidity of
your VC backing.

Either way, we're both talking about the same thing, prices will plummet.
The days of profits over 3% and wages above the norm are gone. It will get
far worse before it stablizes.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com