How Moore's law stabbed us in the back

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 20:54:30 -0500

Minor note:
The exponent for revenue is (1 - N), of course, not (1 + N).

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Meltsner, Kenneth
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 7:21 PM
To: Adam L. Beberg; fork@xent.com
Subject: RE: How Moore's law stabbed us in the back

It might be the wrong equation, of course.

One relevant one is:

Revenue = Units Sold * Price per Unit

Another is:

Units Sold = K (Price per Unit) ^ (- N)

[K normalizes the inital price, plus other stuff]

Put them together (although it should really be a diff eq if N isn't a constant)

Revenue= K (Price per Unit) ^ (1 + N)

This is the elasticity equation; basically, staples (salt, flour) are N < 1, luxuries are N >> 1.   And with N = 1, revenue is constant as price changes.  Now, the problem with this equation is that for larger changes in price, N isn't going to be constant for a lot of goods.  Computing is clearly one of them.  For most of the computer age, I'd bet that N was fairly large -- revenues continued to increase even though (and because) cost (and usually price) per unit kept dropping.  If we've been screwed, it's because computing is no longer a price-sensitive luxury.  It's a staple, and not likely to see a major increase in demand regardless of price.

Of course, the real issue for an investor is the change in earnings (profit), not revenue.  And what we've seen is easily predicted:  any sort of constant 'c' due to support costs, advertising, administration, and, yes, research will be squeezed unmercifully as cost per unit drops since there is no longer any increase in unit sales to hide the overhead.

Ken Meltsner