Dot

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:14:05 -0800 (PST)

So, in my job hunting, I come across a 5 years experience win32+unix kernel
driver devel job at HP. Contract/hourly, not a salary gig so should pay
decent. "well, they'll go as high as 32$/hr, but they wont like it." Talking
to the recruiter, it sounds like this is becoming the norm with the
suppy/demand cliff and all. And anyone who thinks this is gonna rebound is
on crack. Noone wants to pay for bits anymore, people under 20 can't even
comprehend paying for bits.

I can go be a union electrician and make more then that working with all my
non-farmer relatives that are in construction. I think between my cousins,
everything but electrician is covered, AND I would get to build things!

I really miss building things, and being able to explain what I do to
people, and women not moving away in horror when I tell them what I do for
that matter. Atoms, everyone needs atoms, no Moores law in atoms.

Me thinks it's just about time to exit the sinking ship known as the U.S.S.
Geek, it's just not a happening gig anymore.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com