Europe Dumps Old Money Before Ringing In the New

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:42:08 -0800

> From: Adam L. Beberg [mailto:beberg@mithral.com]

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, John Hall wrote:
>
> > By all means get rid of corporate welfare.  Start with Ethanol
> > subsidies, milk price fixing, sugar subsidies, peanut quotas ...
>
> I used to agree with that, but then realized it's the last
> thing between us and a huge corprate farm monopoly growing a
> continent full of monogenetic crops.

The primary beneficaires of farm price supports are the corporate
farmers.  The people who pay are the poor and (especially in Florida)
the environment.

> And the only fair thing is a flat tax, no deductions. Of
> course then you end up with cheating on the scale Europe
> apparently has, so either way people can get around it.

Most flat tax proposals I've seen would be exceptionally hard to evade
beyond cash-only small scale transactions.

When the bank and corporation deduct your tax off the top before
crediting interest, dividends, or pay it gets hard to duck.