What Constitutes Humanity?

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Wed, 23 May 2001 03:20:45 -0500

Strata Rose Chalup wrote:

> I AM reading literally.  You were very clear.

Apparently, clear as mud to you.  I said what I meant, and I meant what I said, and
it's not what you're trying to cast it to be.  READ, dammit.

> It sounds like you
> think that you wrote "a life currently living must be counted worth far
> more than a life which has the potential to occur", but that is not
> what you wrote at all.

Don't interpret.  If I have to make it this fucking tedious for you to understand my
point, here's my own deconstruction of this one sentence you're hanging your hat on:

"a life lived" == any amount of self-aware experience, memory, whatever.

"one which *might be lived*" == a life without the above.

There's no quantification and no value judgement inherent, there.  It *does* beg the
question of when the first one is achieved, but it should be obvious that there's got
to be a point when memory starts.  When's your first memory, Strata?  You weren't
human before that, by my definition.  Not sure you are now, though by another def.
--- language --- you are at least in the running, modulo your lack of ability to
interpret my English sentences...  ;-)

jb