Re: WebStep proposal: Standard default?

Marc Guenther (samojed!yoda@cis.uni-muenchen.de)
Fri, 14 Apr 95 23:39:29 +0200

> Marc Guenther <samojed!yoda@cis.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> > Btw, what about using Yftp for the ftp-url handling ? It
> > would require some changes to the program, the most
> > important that it doesn't insist on getting all parent
> > directories first, before getting the actual file. But
> > it shouldn't be that hard to do.
>
> Nothing against Yftp.app, (and I agree about the directory
> caching), but a simple background filter with an Application
> object present ONLY for the display of an alert panel
> and invoked completely in the background sounds preferable,
> at least as an option. The choosing capacity that makes
> Yftp so desirable isn't needed if a single URL is being
> passed.

If that single URL is a file, yes. But if its a directory, and
there are URL's that point eg. to entire ftp archives, than the
browsing facility of Yftp would be nice.

Anyway, it should be an option. All the WWW Browsers out there have
their own way of handling ftp url's already, so it's not an
immediate problem :)

Btw, Yftp could be split up in a frontend part and a background
daemon, that provides ftp transfer services. Like TickelServices. I
have to think about it.

Y.