More on Aglets (was Re: HTTP vs IIOP)

Mark Baker (markb@iosphere.net)
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:02:10 -0500

At 03:02 PM 18/3/97 PST, I Find Karma wrote:
>Now we have to deal with all these bean
>STALKERS... (I figured a bad pun oughta wipe out half of the FoRK
>readership.)

<groan>

>> They've been ahead of 1.1 for almost a year. They had their own
>> serialization mechanism before Javasoft.
>
>Which unfortunately means they are currently incompatible with Java's
>serialization. Now they'll have to destroy the village in order to save
>it.

Oh no, nothing like that. They've been using the sacred capital-S
Javasoft Serialization since at least Alpha3. I never personally
used their homegrown version, only heard about it.

>Interesting. I thought Sun was through mucking with the JVM, but maybe
>they've only just begun.

That was just conjecture on the part of some people on the list
(well, maybe just me). I have no idea if IBM is petitioning
Javasoft to change it or not.

Definitely worth a couple of hours of play time - maybe more.

MB

--
Mark Baker, Ottawa Ontario CANADA.                Java, CORBA, OpenDoc, Beans
markb@iosphere.net, mbaker@nortel.ca           http://www.iosphere.net/~markb

Will distribute business objects for food.