Sucker born every minute

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 17:34:33 -0500 (EST)

tbyars@earthlink.net writes:
> Does Apple know they could have saved themselves about $ 400 million by
> looking a little deeper?
>

> * The latest NeXT price lists reportedly shows:
> *
> * N5515 NeXT 2.0 Mach Source Release on Floppies $10,000
> * [$5000 for educational institutions].
> *
> * I am led to understand that this includes the various licensing fees...

...which presumably would include the source license fees for the
components of the thing which are not owned by NeXT (there's still
probably some original AT&T Unix(R) code kicking around in there, in
the OS layers between the Mach "micro"kernel and Posix applications).

But I doubt it includes the right to sublicense (that is, to resell
copies to the licensee's --- i.e., Apple's --- customers). Remember,
folks, fine print makes fine reading...

rst