RE: Deja vu

Joe Barrera (joebar@microsoft.com)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:18:48 -0800

Are you guys aware that Mach ("MacMach") was running on 680xx Macs sometime
around 1990? David Bowman I think is the name of the guy who was
principally working on the port while at physically at Carnegie-Mellon.
(Damn, unless I'm confusing him with a character from 2001. Or maybe they
really have the same name.) If, like, anyone cares, I can look back through
my archived mail and try to find more info about this.

Now of course, at that time, NeXTStep (also at the time on 680xx) + MacMach
= instant MacNextStep. How different things could have been...

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III (joebar@microsoft.com)
http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/barc/joebar
Phone, Redmond: (206) 936-3837; San Francisco: (415) 778-8227
Pager (100 char max): 1338993@roam.pagemart.net or (800) 864-8444

-----Original Message-----
From: CobraBoy [SMTP:tbyars@earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 1997 7:17 AM
To: FoRK@xent.w3.org
Subject: Deja vu

On a related note, yesterday at Fry's I was reading the back of the Linux
slackware CD-ROM (4 -CD's!!) what is included. And it really struck me how
stupid Apple really is. Granted they made the right decision. But to even
consider this Be crap. I would have to assume they have a GUI laying
around
in the labs that they could have placed on top of Linux.

Be that as it may...
[...]