PicoJava/JavaOS

Mark Baker (markb@iosphere.net)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 23:31:41 -0500

At 04:56 PM 28/1/97 -0500, Rohit Khare wrote:
>No -- I think the whole point is getting away from the notion of
>"computer". A cheap, low-power analog, async VLSI chip might fit on a
>wristwatch, run off minimal power, offer more integer power than AltaVista,
>and directly interface to RF-band communication.

Why does a PicoJava chip have to be tied to a computer? It's
certainly not how Sun's positioning it in the market. Miniaturization
and $2/chip is on the horizon.

Even the JavaOS isn't computer-centric. It will be designed
so that it can interface with any attached IO object, be it
a hard-drive or the light/dark switch on your toaster.

>"Net chip" that makes any ol' device wirelessly woven into your personal
>network will really change the world. And now, all of a sudden, declarative
>markup, PEP-enhanced HTTP messages, and intelligent middleware make a lot
>of sense in deciding how to route your email from your refrigerator to your
>TV set -- and pay for the groceries, too.

Amen. That day couldn't happen soon enough for me. But let me
have secure-IIOP inplace of HTTP.

MB (saddened that he was ignored in the "Who's CorbaBoy" debate) 8-(

--
Mark Baker, Ottawa Ontario CANADA.                  Java, CORBA, OpenDoc,
Beans

Will distribute business objects for food.