RE: DRUDGE REPORT FLASH 1/28/97 10:15 PST

Joe Barrera (joebar@microsoft.com)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 12:45:47 -0800

Yes, there are actually several such compounds under consideration. Each
interferes with (at least) one key enzyme required by the virus. A detailed
list of compounds currently under consideration can be found at

http://www.mitretek.org/offer/energy/cw_page/cwagent.html

There is a minor problem finding a sufficient number of test volunteers for
producing a statistically valid sample. Once this problem is cleared up,
however, we should be well on our way to an actual anti-viral agent against
the influenza virus, which has posed a ongoing health threat to our
species. (20 million died of influenza in 1918 alone.)

- Joe

P.S. File under "the operation was a success, but alas, the patient..."

Joseph S. Barrera III (joebar@microsoft.com)
http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/barc/joebar
Phone, Redmond: (206) 936-3837; San Francisco: (415) 778-8227
Pager (100 char max): 1338993@roam.pagemart.net or (800) 864-8444