Fw: RFC 2083 on PNG: Portable Network Graphics

Rohit Khare (khare@www10.w3.org)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 13:49:18 -0500

Chris Lilley did an excellent job editing PNG and shepherding it through
the W3C approval process... score 1 for the W3C!

To be sure, this is partially because we only make Recommendations -- we
don't claim to make Standards, and we don't waste time on CYA
superstructure to review, rereview, and authorize any moves. And we have
staff to expedite the process, not just volunteers.

RK

----------
> From: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>
> Subject: Re: RFC 2083 on PNG: Portable Network Graphics
> Date: Wednesday, January 22, 1997 12:36 PM

Short version:

- We are faster than IETF
- W3C REC and IETF RFC are identical in content

Long version:

PNG draft submitted to W3C, issued as WD-png-951126.html (on 8 Dec)

PNG draft issued as IETF Internet Draft (some folk on the list prefer
W3C, some prefer "the more tried and tested" IETF

Tom Lane declares concensus, `The PNG Spec Is Done.' It still has
Draft boilerplate at the top and will have 0.98 in the filename "until
the W3C and IETF folks finish whatever it is they do". Internet Draft
sent to RFC editor to grab a place in the queue for Informational RFC

(inbetween: lots of copy editing on the 'finished' spec ;-)

PNG spec Proposed Recommendation document produced

PNG spec approved by IETF for publication as Informational RFC
'in two weeks'

PNG Proposed Recommendation released for member review, closing date
for voting is 24:00 GMT 31 August 1996

TimBL approves PNG as W3C Recommendation

PNG announced as W3C Recommendation, with press release

IANA approves image/png MIME registration

IETF releases PNG spec as Informational RFC 2083

Glenn Randers-Pehrson sends list of technical errors introduced by RFC
editor with request for them to be fixed.

Even though we had to liase with members, add in feedback from review, and
create publicity, W3C issued the specification (in multiple formats)
without errors, in 14 days. IETF took 6 months and counting. The place
in the RFC queue was not lost, because all changes (to track the W3C
document) were submitted as 'editorial not technical in nature'.

W3C is *fast*. And accurate.