RE: Best OS

Joe Barrera (joebar@microsoft.com)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:18:58 -0800

Could you expand on "tacky" and "so-so" in bullet 4 (NT 4.0)?

Having mucked around in the innards of both NT and many of the Unix/Mach
variants, I find NT to be the Land Rover/HMMV in the OS auto sales lot. It
certainly weighs a lot, it may suck down resources, but its disk rotors
won't warp from a little mountain driving.

- Joe

PS. Regarding #7 - I actually have a ZX-81 in my office. It wears a label
saying "Network Computer". Although to keep up with changing times, I
should probably rename it to "Web TV".

Joseph S. Barrera III (joebar@microsoft.com)
http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/barc/joebar
Phone, Redmond: (206) 936-3837; San Francisco: (415) 778-8227
Pager (100 char max): 1338993@roam.pagemart.net or (800) 864-8444

-----Original Message-----
From: CobraBoy [SMTP:tbyars@earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 1997 9:01 AM
To: FoRK@xent.w3.org
Subject: Best OS

Lets just put our cards on the table here.

My list of the best.

1) NeXTStep/OpenStep - if you don't understand this being #1 heaven help
you.

2) Solaris- this is what I call the 1969 Chevelle SS 454 OS. it doesn't
handle, you can't stop it, but put the pedal to the metal and hold on.

3) tie - Linux/MacOS - Linux is simply the best consumer "real" OS
available, and the Mac is still the best consumer OS.

4) Win NT 4.0 - tacky interface slapped on a so so OS

5) OS/2 - too bad...

6) Win 95 - good for playing games using the kernal (DOS), should have
been
abandoned years ago. tacky white trash version of a gui interface.

7) Timex Sinclair Z-80 - hey anything could beat #8

8) Win 3.1 - no comment

--

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand." ...Eric Schmidt, Sun Microsystems

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>