Re: dat need fur speed...

Rohit Khare (khare@www10.w3.org)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:44:38 -0500

> From: CobraBoy <tbyars@earthlink.net>
> To: Joe Barrera <joebar@microsoft.com>; 'Dan Kohn' <dan@teledesic.com>;
'Fork'

> Now let's compare this to my *absolutely stock* Win'95 Micron.

And on the other hand, underneath the invective, CobraBoy is usually aiming
at the truth. Even if he can't aim the Reply All button to the list itself
:-)

I have to dramatically lower my expectations when I use my Win95 box. True,
I agree NT is more stable, but it's not on my Compaq Armada 4120 laptop.

* I expect it to crash 3 times a day
* I expect to have to reconfigure file open dialogs to my 'usual' directory
and filetype settings every launch
* I can't cut-and-paste HTML and RTF reliably between most applications
* Get used to random network-related alertboxes

In general, it's minor annoyances that combine to wear down my patience for
Windows UI. I won't even address the stability of the OS, since that's too
easy :-)

That's why I mourn the NeXTstep user environment (and Taligent's stillborn
effort) even though the APIs might end up winning. Application development
efficiency is only part of the picture...

RK