RE: Millenium

Joe Barrera (joebar@microsoft.com)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 06:17:41 -0800

(BTW - If I need to be a Joe-<number>, might as well be Joe-III. That's the
number I've used for the past mumblety-mumble years... and no they don't
call me "trey" at home.)

My biggest problem with this abstract is: haven't we already done this four
or five times already? AFS/Andrew is the most complete and real
implementation I know of. But there's also Sprite and Amoeba and V. I know
OSF picked up AFS but I don't know what else of Andrew they picked up or
replaced. And of course there's the poor man's approach: NFS (Sun or
generic), with something on the side to keep everyone's remote mount tree
kinda sorta the same.

I think the coolest aspect of this project is the name. "So, Bob, what
would cause an OS to write garbage to its own boot sector?" (We are shown,
presumably through Bob's eyes, a sequence of rapid-cut, hand-held shots of
reference counts prematurely dropping to zero, structures freed, NULL
pointers being chased.) Bob: "This system will corrupt itself again. Under
heavy load, it builds itself up to a state of excitement, but the only form
of release it is able to perform is defecation."

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III (joebar@microsoft.com)
http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/barc/joebar
Phone, Redmond: (206) 936-3837; San Francisco: (415) 778-8227
Pager (100 char max): 1338993@roam.pagemart.net or (800) 864-8444