Re: Fw: Urgent! AOP Alert 97:03 (fwd)

Gordon Irlam (gordoni@base.com)
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 13:53:50 -0800 (PST)

I have a class C address for my network at home. Under the
proposal I would be required to pay $2,500 to maintain my subnet,
which is greatly beyond my price range.

I'm feeling pretty pissed off about this right now.

I spent a few hours reading through the proposal (www.arin.net)
and writing up comments on it. I then sent my comments to the
address to which they claim to be soliciting public comments,
only to have it bounce right back at me. Grrr. What a waste
of time.

I am not opposed to the concept of charging rent for address space.
The current proposal however is very badly flawed. Anyone want to
do a back of the envelope calculation on reasonable costs? Let's
see, 10000 backbone routers (surely an overestimate!), 16 bytes
static RAM each, $40/Mbyte. Well, that comes to $6.40! Nowhere
near the $2,500 I am being threatened with.

gordoni

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 01:57:19 +1900
From: "L-Soft list server at InterNIC Registration Services (1.8b)"
<LISTSERV@LISTS.INTERNIC.NET>
Subject: Rejected posting to NAIPR@LISTS.INTERNIC.NET
To: gordoni@BASE.COM

You are not authorized to send mail to the NAIPR list from your
gordoni@BASE.COM account. You might be authorized to send to the list from
another of your accounts, or perhaps when using another mail program which
generates slightly different addresses, but LISTSERV has no way to associate
this other account or address with yours. If you need assistance or if you have
any question regarding the policy of the NAIPR list, please contact the list
owners: NAIPR-Request@LISTS.INTERNIC.NET.