Fw: Column-eatin' season

Rohit Khare (khare@www10.w3.org)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:09:55 -0500

Just for all y'all who were curious how much of a suck-up I can be... :-)

Seriously, I've been real quiet on FoRK because of the incredible
grad-school-app pressure and my own procrastination. It's killer, though,
because this time, I *really* desperately want to shift over to the PhD and
the stakes seem really high.

The upside of starting this late is that I can't waste the 20x effort I
spent two years ago preparing 1/2"-thick binders of application info :-)

Rohit Khare

----------
> From: Rohit Khare <khare@w3.org>
> To: metcalfe@infoworld.com
> Subject: Column-eatin' season
> Date: Wednesday, January 15, 1997 11:06 AM
>
> Hi --
>
> I'm the guy who originally suggested you eat your 'Net collapse column at
> WWW4 in December 1995. Not a stroke of originality, mind you -- the
pioneer
> was John Perry Barlow; us NeXTWORLD staffers made him eat his 1993
> prediction column that NeXT would fail (with salt and pepper, mind you,
> we're not inhumane). Still, just thought I'd indulge myself by letting
you
> know where the consequences you so narrowly avoided last month came
from...

> In return, I wanted to offer some kudos for your 1997 agenda-setting
column
> on challenges facing the Internet. In particular:
>
> > Internet plumbing that needs fixing in 1997 includes the underlying
> > protocol (TCP/IP), the DNS, and the Web's HTTP. Too many
> > routes is the problem with TCP/IP. Robust directory services are
> > needed to enhance DNS. And HTTP needs to open many fewer
> > short TCP connections
>
> At least I can report that W3C is making progress on the last one, just
by
> teaching people how to use HTTP/1.1 correctly:
> http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Pipeline.html
>
> "This work shows a significant performance gain by using HTTP/1.1
> persistent connections and pipelining. This can decrease the number of
TCP