Java battle --- push finally comes to shove

Rohit Khare (khare@w3.org)
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:52:22 -0500

[We've renumbered W3C's IP addrs, so all hell is breaking loose. Fwd on
behalf of RST:]

From: "Robert S. Thau" <rst@ai.mit.edu>
Subject: Java battle --- push finally comes to shove
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 15:26:36 -0500 (EST)

The feature from ZDnet included below (several paragraphs below) seems
to show that Sun and Microsoft are pretty nearly done dancing around
each other, and ready to come to blows --- in particular, the
president of JavaSoft is quoted as saying that:

1) Microsoft's current Java offerings are *already* in violation of
the license agreement giving Microsoft the rights to distribute
derivatives of Sun's Java technology.

2) JavaSoft believes that Microsoft is required by that license to
distribute all of the JDK 1.1 class set --- most critically, Java
Beans --- once they start distributing any of it. This, of course,
goes directly to the heart of the battle between the two companies,
which is (to repeat myself) not about whether Microsoft's private
distributed object embedding technologies (i.e. ActiveX) get onto
people's desktops, but whether Microsoft can keep the Java-based
competition (i.e., Java Beans) off.

Unfortunately, what Baratz *didn't* say, at least in this article, is
what JavaSoft has the right to do about the alleged violations, and
what its actual plans might be (beyond, of course, simply asking the
nice boys in Redmond to play fair). The two obvious strategies are
suing Microsoft to cease distribution of Java derivatives in violation
of the license, and trying to arrange an industry coalition which is
strong enough to force Java Beans down Microsoft's throat by sheer
competitive pressure.

Odds on the lawsuit depend on the exact terms of the license --- I
don't know if the thing has ever been publicly described in detail ---
but it strikes me, in my naive ignorance of these crucial facts, as a
potentially risky strategy. The risk is that Microsoft doesn't have
to actually win the lawsuit to prevail --- if they can just drag it
out for long enough, while distributing their mutant Java products in
the meantime (and, of course, getting good PR by describing themselves
as victims in the press), they can win a victory in the marketplace
which would make any verdict in the courts, when it finally arrives,
an irrelevancy. Indeed, Microsoft might well regard an ActiveX
monopoly as being worth a very substantial payoff to JavaSoft after
the fact.

(On the other hand, if JavaSoft can somehow wangle an injunction
against Microsoft from distributing mutant products at all while the
case is in the courts, then *Javasoft* wins --- Microsoft can't stop
distributing Java-compatible browsers, so they'll be forced to
distribute Java Beans as long as the case is in the courts,
establishing it as a de facto standard facility regardless of the
court's verdict. However, while injunctions like that are common in
patent cases, my impression is that they're an awful lot harder to get
when mere copyright is at issue. NB that that patent that JavaSoft
has on the -quick JVM opcodes would not apply to a JIT VM such as
Microsoft's latest offering...).

As to the industry coaltion, I can hear the collective readership of
FoRK sneering in unison, "yeah, right". Half of me, at least, reacts
the same way, but the sentimental part of me reminds that half that
Sun has already done it once by getting Microsoft to ship Java in
*any* form.

One final note --- buried towards the bottom, we see one of those neat
switcheroos that earn Microsoft PR flacks the big bucks. If you
remember that big "100% pure Java" show Sun put on last week in which
100+ companies endorsed the JDK 1.1 technologies, you probably also
remember that Microsoft justified their highly visible absence by
claiming that they hadn't been invited. They don't claim that
anymore. The new claim is that they "did not have sufficient time to
make a decision about participating". Which is completely accurate,
as far as it goes. Somewhere in Redmond, the invitation sits, with a
pencilled scribble upon it: "When hell freezes over".

rst

Article follows...

Java Rivals Digging In

By Michael Moeller