Re: Deep Blue, Stale, and Imminent Death of the Net (tm).

Joe Kiniry (kiniry@frankie.caltech.edu)
Wed, 21 Aug 96 11:43:58 -0800

You wrote:
> >From server@elanor.oit.unc.edu Wed Aug 21 01:53:18 1996
> Subject: Edupage, 20 August 1996
>
> IF YOU LIKED SLATE, YOU'LL LOVE STALE
> Just six weeks after Microsoft launched its online magazine Slate,
> some New York writers have developed a parody called Stale. Stale
> writers Daniel Radosh and Michael Tritter feel their alternative
> should serve to take Microsoft down a notch from its proclaimed
> pinnacle of Web publishing: "They come off as saying that they're
> on a mission to civilize the Web, as if they're the only ones who
> can make it safe for America," says Radosh. And in case you tire of
> the humor, each Stale spoof is electronically linked to its Slate
> mate. (St. Petersburg Times 19 Aug 96 p12) < http:www.stale.com >

we're seeing quite a number of these backlash publications, aren't
we? interesting trend; ride on the coat-tails of a semi-respectible
publication (because they spent the $$$s for marketing it) and get
your fifteen minutes of fame!

> GROWING PAINS ON THE NET
> The inadvertent shutdown of America Online a few weeks ago was only
> the beginning, say some industry observers, who predict that
> outages at overburdened Internet providers will become more common
> in the future. "Maybe for the first time in the history of the
> Internet, the demand is exceeding the supply that technology can
> deliver," says the CEO of Advanced Network & Services. Because
> flat-rate pricing is the dominant Internet service provider
> business model, there is no financial incentive to conserve the
> resource, warns the executive VP of Nynex Science & Technology. He
> predicts that the Internet eventually will collapse under its own
> weight, but will reemerge with "a lot more tollbooths on that
> highway than there are now." (Business Week 26 Aug 96 p62)

why do we have to keep hearing about this bullshit?

> SPRINT TO OFFER INTERNET ACCESS
> Sprint Corp. is the latest entrant into the Internet service
> provider field, announcing plans to roll out its Sprint Internet
> Passport over the next few months. "I still don't understand what's
> taken them so long," says a director at Forrester Research Inc.,
> noting that the company has been operating a major portion of the
> Internet backbone since 1992. Sprint's gradual approach is a
> cautious response to some of the mistakes it saw rival AT&T make in
> its WorldNet launch. "The reason we waited as long as we did is to
> assure that the service we delivered was the best in the business,"
> says a Sprint executive. The company, which claims to carry as much
> as 60% of the data traffic to and from the U.S., is hoping to snag
> 20% of the market within a year. (Wall Street Journal 20 Aug 96 A3)

i've been waiting for this announcement. hey, i know it's not a
hardware problem that has been delaying release (orginally scheduled
for august 7). why do i know? i designed the system! :)

> NOVELL DOES INTRANETS
> Novell Inc. has joined the intranet gold rush, unveiling a
> collection of programs designed to run on corporate networks.
> IntranetWare, as the package is called, includes a new version of
> Novell's network operating system, a program that routes messages
> among networks, a new version of its Web server program, and two
> programs for creating and managing Web sites. The new product will
> be available November 1. Industry observers say Novell faces an
> uphill battle in its fight for intranet market share, with Netscape
> and Microsoft already claiming dominance, but one analyst at
> International Data Corp. notes the company has a vast arsenal of
> independent distributors and resellers that will use its product to
> set up intranets for client companies that can't do it themselves.
> "This isn't revolutionary or earth-shattering, but it's absolutely
> necessary for Novell to maintain any credibility at medium and
> small-size customers." (Wall Street Journal 20 Aug 96 B4)

more proof of why companies like novell never make a difference in
the innovation front (the other major player that i would include in
this comment would be hewlett packard).

> NCR SERVER IS PENTIUM POWERHOUSE
> NCR Corp. has a $140 million solution to power computing. The
> company, a unit of AT&T, developed a way to combine 32 200-Mhz
> Pentium Pro chips into one server, and then link 128 of the servers
> together, giving them access to the combined computing power of
> 4,096 Pentium Pro chips. (Investor's Business Daily 20 Aug 96 A8)

the biggest wintel box in the world! you, too, will need one to
run windows 2000!

> WINDOWS NT REQUIRES PENTIUM CHIP FOR OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE
> Trade publication Byte Magazine reports that Microsoft's latest
> Windows NT version suffers a slowdown when run on computers
> equipped with a Cyrix 6x86 microprocessor running at 150 megahertz
> rather than a comparable Intel Pentium chip. The Windows NT 4.0
> operating system ran 16% slower than a previous release of NT on a
> Cyrix chip, and 24% slower than Windows 95. Cyrix says the problem
> is a hardware malfunction, and is offering customers a free
> software patch. (Investor's Business Daily 20 Aug 96 A8)

i...hmmm...umm... no comment.

joe