Conditional Links? [was: Victory! "Microsoft moving Help system to HTML format" ]

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Mon, 08 Jul 1996 10:46:23 -0400

In message <9607081336.AA00315@pest.w3.org>, Rohit Khare writes:

>Ob W3C Work Item: so, who's designing HTML conditional links, as this article
>
>suggests we will soon be doing?

Good question. I'll ask Thomas Reardon about what exactly is
meant by this.

But it fits fairly well under "Link Types, Resource Variants and Meta
Information" I'd say.

>Some of the implementation issues will be handled through the W3C (World Wide
>Web Consortium), where Microsoft is seeking approval for additional HTML tags
>such as dynamic links. These links are added to code but do not appear on a
>page until they are activated. HTML does not currently support these links,
>but Help needs them because Microsoft products are often installed piecemeal.
>
>"You wouldn't want every reference to Excel in a Visual Basic help file to
>show up as a link if you don't have Excel loaded," said Williams.

Dan