Winblows

Joe Kiniry (kiniry@cs.caltech.edu)
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 12:03:29 -0800

rohit's diatribe highlights the quandary that i am being placed in
over the next couple of months.

our department and research group are receiving several (perhaps 2
dozen) donated multiprocessor pentium pros from various sources. i'm
told that each of these systems will be delivered with some version of
Windows (NT is extremely likely) installed and, perhaps, we are under
"agreement" to keep NT on at least half of them. what is a reasonable
man to do? (don't _even_ get me into a discussion of this
"agreement", or the source thereof.)

i'd like to make most of them dual/multi-booting, but it's unclear what
media i'll receive, how "customized" their installs will be (i.e. can
i duplicate it if i have to wipe a disk?), etc. <sigh>

besides, and because of, my experience in the sys-admin domain and
system consulting in the large, it's likely that we'll have to follow
the "don't touch it because it might break" policy. how depressing.

good luck rohit. just think, NT 5.0 might be decent since it his
hitting that magical microsoft third release plateau. microsoft _is_
promising to solve all of the world's distributed computing problems.
we're just not getting _anything_ done today and it _is_ the
renaissance of DC, didn't you hear?

joe