Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 17:27:56 -0500
From: Ed Felten <felten@CS.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Java/Netscape security flaw

We have discovered another serious security flaw in the Java programming
language, which allows a malicious Java applet running under Netscape
Navigator (version 2.0 or 2.01) to execute arbitrary machine code. We have
implemented an applet that exploits the flaw to remove a file. Until a fix
is issued, Netscape users can protect themselves by disabling Java in the
Security Preferences dialog.

At present we are not releasing technical details about the flaw. We will
announce the full details later; some of the details will also appear in our
upcoming paper in the proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Security and
Privacy, to be published in May. Our paper also contains an overall
analysis of Java's security. For an advance copy of the paper, send mail to
felten@cs.princeton.edu. The paper will be available in about a week.

[Note that the "security enhancements" announced by Netscape in version 2.01
of Netscape Navigator do not fix this flaw. They fix two separate flaws found
last month, one found by us (RISKS-17.77) and independently by Steve Gibbons,
and the other found by David Hopwood (RISKS-17.83).]

For more information, see http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~ddean/java, or contact
Ed Felten at (609) 258-5906 or felten@cs.princeton.edu.

Drew Dean, Ed Felten, Dan Wallach, Dept of Computer Science, Princeton Univ.