Re: diffent machines, same environment?

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 10:12:36 -0500 (EST)

John Klassa writes:

> Ken> I use CVS, cron, and some scripts with simple heuristics.
>
> Do you mount the CVS repository, then do normal CVS stuff, or do you run
> a CVS server that you can connect to from your linux box? Unless I'm
> looking in the wrong places, information on how to set up a server is
> somewhat sparse...

Hmm, I can't remember that I had much trouble. Basically you run 'cvs
pserver --allow-root=whatever' from inetd or something analogous (I use
djb's tcpserver) on the appropriate port. Then you setenv your CVSROOT
to :pserver:username@some.machine, or something like that -- look it up
in the CVS manual.

Of course you can use 'cvs server' as well, which is slightly
different, and I think there are other alternatives too.

I do remember that I always had a hell of a time finding stuff in the
docs. I mentioned this yesterday to a friend who used to admin CVS for
a group of developers; he said he never used the docs, and just read
the source. :)

Thu Oct 28 1999
12 days until the Internet stock bubble bursts on Monday, 1999-11-08.