Re: FoRK- Sun Spots

Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endTECH.com)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:17:59 -0700

Hey Ray,
You can't, of course, hold me to a post from August '98.
That's way back when AMD was having their 'famous'
supply chain problems with the K6 because they couldn't get the
quality of the chip up. Several friends of mine currently have
Athlon's overclocked to something outrageous. You can get the
700mhz, 128kb cache, 200mhz bus for about $732 + shipping off of pricewatch.com.
The thing is, though, an Alpha 21364 at the same clock speed is still about
70% faster. They are claiming both the 1Ghz and 1.6Ghz (unknown bus speed)
will be available in y2k.

According to ugeek/chipgeek, http://www.ugeek.com/procspec/procmain.htm
Posted Tuesday, October 19 Rob@Geek.com
1GHz Chips - The Register reports that Intel will
announce an 1100MHz P7 chip in December '99
(shipping in Feb 2000), while AMD will be
announcing (or maybe shipping?) their 1000MHz
Athlon on January 10, 2000. Thanks to reader
James S for pointing out the Intel link.

Anyways, thanks for the comments.

Greg